Successful executives often ask themselves “how do I get better?” Some pursue training or advanced degrees and others ask their team, manager, or peers for feedback. One other option is to use an executive coach; from my own experience using a tremendous and highly transformational coach, this idea gets my personal vote! This individual will not do the work for you, but they can really help you move to that next level of success in your career.
Why consider a coach?
1. A coach can be a confidant. You can tell your coach things you wouldn’t tell others because a coach is trained to understand and be non-judgmental.
2. A coach can help you see your blind spots. Everyone, even the coach, has personal areas that are out of view or awareness until someone points them out. A coach is perfectly poised to perform this critical function.
3. A coach can provide objective feedback. Other people may have agendas. Your coach has your best interests in mind in providing feedback and counsel to you.
4. A coach provides another set of eyes. Even the top performers in the world have coaches to help them see what they themselves can’t see.
5. A coach can keep you accountable. Your coach can help you take on more responsibility by having you report weekly on your accomplishments and initiatives.
6. A coach can be a sounding board. Your coach can be another set of ears as you talk about the things that are bothering you. As you hear yourself have a conversation, new personal realizations emerge.
7. A coach can be another source of creative ideas. You can brainstorm and try out new ideas, behaviors, and mental processes as your coach provides a safe place to experiment.
8. A coach can help you create your vision. Your coach can assist you in developing your plans for success based on your values, personal strengths, background, and assets.
9. A coach can help celebrate your successes and be a source of strength when you fail. Your coach can be a supportive and nurturing source of energy.
10. A coach can help you process life. Life is a process and a good coach can assist you in reviewing and reframing what happens in your business, your sports, and your life!
A coach can help you continue to move forward, develop new strategies, and implement change. Next month, we will talk a bit more about how to find the right coach to meet your development needs!